Scott Blickenstaff is an accomplished business and transactional attorney and a member of the firm’s Banking, Business, and Real Estate law practice groups. His practice focuses on all aspects of business, banking and real estate law, including representing companies in entity formation, financing, governance, litigation management and commercial contracting matters, and in structuring, documenting and closing a variety of commercial, real estate, financial and technology transactions. Scott has particular expertise in debt and equity financing, governance, commercial contracting, secured financings and restructurings, mergers and acquisitions, real property leasing, sales and acquisitions, project development, finance and construction, public-private joint ventures, and in advising agricultural cooperatives with respect to Capper-Volstead Act compliance.
Before joining Hawley Troxell, Scott spent four years as Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary and two years as General Counsel and Secretary for The Amalgamated Sugar Company, plus four years as Associate General Counsel at Boise, Inc. Prior to his in-house counsel positions, Scott was with Orrick, Herrington, & Sutcliffe for 15 years in its San Francisco and Menlo Park offices.
LAW SCHOOL University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1990
UNDERGRADUATE College of Idaho, B.A. cum laude, 1984
Morrison Center Endowment Foundation, Board member
Idaho State Bar, licensed since 2010
California State Bar, licensed since 1990
SIGNIFICANT REPRESENTATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Managed the legal department for a $2 billon agricultural cooperative with over 700 shareholder members; ensured compliance with environmental, safety, employment, antitrust, securities, and other applicable laws and regulations; participated in and prepared official minutes for all board and committee meetings; managed all commercial and employment litigation; managed resolution of all claims, disputes and litigation with members; primary board liaison responsible for cooperative governance matters.
- Represented numerous technology startup companies in all aspects of corporate formation and governance, governmental compliance, equity and debt financing, stock plan management, employment policies and agreements, technology license agreements, and various commercial transactions.
- Advised a California based technology company as primary outside counsel in connection with its corporate formation, technology licensing, equity financings, and operations; achieved client goals in closing more than $50 million in equity financings, negotiating complex licensing arrangements, and counseling client in all aspects of company operations.
- Oversaw all aspects of Capper-Volstead Act compliance for a $2 billion agricultural cooperative with over 700 members; led the review, revision and member approval of updated articles of incorporation, bylaws and other constituent documents; led the review, revision and updating of the cooperative’s functional compliance programs.
- Oversaw large attorney and business teams for a multinational energy company client in connection with the successful development, project financing and construction of a $1 billion South American energy project comprising a natural gas pipeline and related power generation, co-generation and transportation facilities.
- Led the restructuring of the ownership and management rights for seven related California wind energy projects for a consortium of equity holders in connection with the bankruptcy of a large U.S. wind power developer; achieved a timely and successful restructuring of the projects.
- Negotiated, documented and closed commercial property sales totaling more than $200 million on behalf of a major U.S. public company.
- Advised a major resort developer in connection with complex real estate issues relating to redevelopment of a large resort property bordering the California coastline.
- Advised a public company client in negotiation of business and legal terms and documentation of $200 million stock purchase of a private equity owned operating company.
- Represented a U.S. agricultural cooperative in the successful creation of a $40 million European joint venture production facility.